Friday, November 23, 2012

Fat!


(this is a repost from my original blog - it's the only post I wanted to save)

Not you, me. I'm fat.

There, I said it.

Fat is an open secret. You can't hide it. It's there for everyone to see, and random people (be they total strangers or close family) feel like they have license to opine about your fat. The great majority of those opinions are negative. If you're not fat, you don't have a clue what it can do to your self esteem to hear the constant drumbeat about how bad fat is. Society hates it. Doctors hate it. Your family may hate it. Fat folk themselves often hate it - thereby hating themselves.

You're going to DIE!
You're disgusting!
You have such a handsome face, if only you'd lose weight.
You'll never get a woman if you don't lose weight.

The list goes on and on and on. I've heard it said that fat people are the one group who it's politically correct to hate. I think there is plenty of truth to that. Media, pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, diet pushers, all have a vested interest in making fat people feel sub-human. The media loves a good freakshow, and they present fat people as freaks. Pharmaceutical companies see a customer base for the latest weight loss drugs. Insurance companies think it would be better if we'd just die and reduce the risk they have to manage. And the diet industry. Oh, God above, the diet industry.

Well this fat boy is here to tell you something. I am not a poster boy for loving one's self, I'm not a model of "health at any size" (look it up if you're interested), nor am I some kind of activist. Activism is too much like work. But, I reject their reality. I love large ladies. I don't want to be thin. I have several pretty severe medical conditions that would be helped by weight loss, and I do work on it. I don't "diet," I just try to eat smarter.

Admittedly, a good hot fudge sundae can derail me. Put dark chocolate fudge over that puppy and my willpower vanishes in a puff of illogic.

But that's okay. I don't eat those deliciously calorie laden gifts from heaven every day, and I don't begrudge myself the occasional treat. You can't be good all the time.

I'm rambling a bit, so I'll sum up: to those who think I'm some kind of demon for being fat, shoo. Go away. I never asked for your ignorance, nor do I wish to be subjected to it. I'm going to continue being me, and if being me means I stay a fatty for the rest of my life... deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment